Saturday, November 14, 2009

Candle Lighting In Memory of Families Who have Lost Loved Ones


In order to help my family get through a very difficult time I have searched for ways to celebrate the memory of my son Tony who passed away on July 11th at the very young age of 24.  I found an organization that holds a global candle lighting event in memory of all children who have died.  Upon searching to participate in one, I noticed that there was not one being held close by.  I contacted The Compassionate Friends Organization and although I am not a chapter I was informed I could hold one "In Conjunction" with The Compassionate Friends Organization.


I decided that not only would it be a wonderful healing process to organize this event in my sons memory, but I may be able to help others going through the same or similar grieving process during one of the most difficult times of the year.  

It is a bit overwhelming, I have never organized such a large event.  So many details, so little time.


My first plan of attack was to secure a place to hold the gathering.  With the help of family and friends we were able to find something that suited the beauty of such an event but will also allow for an indoor location in case of extreme weather.  This is after all New England. It shall be held on the Town Green in Trumbull CT on December 13, 2009 from 6:30pm until at least 8:30 pm.


There will be music, reading of names, refreshments, stories shared, tears and happy memories.


Next, a list of things I will need.  Candles, battery operated candles in case we need to move the event indoors, batteries for the candles, buttons celebrating the event, bracelets, pamphlets to help with the griving process, posters for advertising, promotional spots, sponsors to help reduce the out of pocket cost, programs, refreshments, sound systems, and on it goes.


Right now my biggest obstacle is going to be paying for everything to make this a beautiful, helpful, memorable event.  I need to get out and find sponsors.  I also need to advertise (for free!).  


I am hoping to get this blog into the hands of people who can help, who can donate to this worthy event in exchange for a small logo on the program.  I have no idea how many people to expect.  I am planning for 100.  Any extra money will be donated to The Compassionate Friends Organization.


If you could spread this blog around with the hopes of getting it into the right hands of organizations that can help me with this huge undertaking, I will be forever grateful.


The Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting unites family and friends around the globe in lighting candles for one hour to honor and remember children who have died at any age from any cause. As candles are lit at 7 p.m. local time, creating a virtual wave of light, hundreds of thousands of persons commemorate and honor children in a way that transcends all ethnic, cultural, religious, and political boundaries.
 

Believed to be the largest mass candle lighting on the globe, the Worldwide Candle Lighting, a gift to the bereavement community from The Compassionate Friends, creates a virtual 24-hour wave of light as it moves from time zone to time zone. Hundreds of formal candle lighting events are held and thousands of informal candle lightings are conducted in homes as families gather in quiet remembrance of children who have died, but will never be forgotten.



No comments:

Post a Comment